Monday, June 17, 2013

Entry #3 Farmer or Factory? Food Inc.

 
Have you ever wondered what your really eating when you go through the drive-thru at McDonalds, or when you pick up a box of twinkies from the grocery store? Recently watching the movie Food, Inc. really made me question what is going into mine and my families bodies. Here is the Official trailer for the movie.
 
 
To start it off the abuse of the animals was appalling! I could only cringe. Knowing that buying these products I am supporting this! To watch a cow be pushed around with a forklift is heart breaking. Then to watch cattle be fed a diet consisting of corn because it is cheap; however the government allowing it was even worse. You might be asking what is wrong with corn... well cattle is not supposed to consume corn. With the corn diet the cattle are producing more bacteria. Bacteria that is unhealthy mainly E-coli. Yes E-coli that can kill! The E-coli producing cattle are then slaughtered and through processing and chemicals are put onto store shelves. Did you know when you look at meat in the market and it has its pink color that is from a chemical?
 
One thing about corn I was stunned by was how many products use it: Diapers, Batteries, Motrin, Kool-Aid, Charcoal, and Fast Food to only name a couple. Corn is used in engineering as a filler, causing the use of less meat making unhealthy food more cost effective, thus easier to get ahold of.
 
Above all my biggest question is why is the government allowing us to poison ourselves? Why aren't they stopping these large corporations from ruling our food supply and making unhealthy food less expensive, and our healthy food more expensive?
 
I hope I haven't scared you away too much as this documentary is really eye opening, so if I haven't, I highly suggest renting it or find it on Netflix. I don't suggest trying to snack while watching it. After watching the movie ask yourself, where would you rather get your food?
 
Farmer?
 
Or
Factory?





2 comments:

  1. One of the biggest issues for me with this whole processed food ordeal is the animal abuse. I love animals, and it broke my heart to see the way they're treated. I haven't heard too many people bring that issue back up among the vast sea of wrongs to be pointed out, so I appreciate that you keep the animals in mind as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda--These two new entries are good. Your writing flows well, and you have good visual appeal. Nice job working to connect to your audience. Keep digging into your analysis to create significance.

    ReplyDelete